A Chore for Everyday

A Chore for Everyday

Friday, December 24, 2010

That grace may be seen

God's mercies I have received, they seemingly come not in a gracious way, not as the answer of prayers, or as the result of my patient waiting, but as it were by chance, my mercies often meeting with my worst frame.

I have prayed, mourned, waited for mercies, though with much weakness and imperfection. It is not the degree but the nature that is to be looked to.

They are not the fruits of my prayers and endeavours; for there is more ground for loathing me for these than rewarding me.

But they are come in a better and more comfortable way, namely, by grace. The LORD matches mercies with our indispositions, that grace may be seen. It is rather a sign of love than hatred, that grace is stamped on all favours and enjoyments; 'Not unto us, but unto thy name' (Psa. 115:1). It is better to hold mercies by this title. It is not fit that the Lord's love should be proportioned to our endeavours; where were grace then? 'Not of works, lest any man should boast' (Eph. 2:9).

(Memoirs, James Fraser)

No comments:

Post a Comment