A Chore for Everyday

A Chore for Everyday

Monday, July 4, 2011

To grow in stature and wisdom


At four months and four days Sethia is sitting supported on a sofa by himself. :)

I like to keep watch and monitor over Sethia's growth, and I find joy in seeing him grow. I think all mothers (or parents, rather) can relate themselves with me. :) Why do I want him to grow so much?

I then mused to myself, why does God want me to grow? My growth in Him, to be Christlike, just gives great pleasure to Him. My single step to grow, whether small or great, is pleasing to Him. C.S. Lewis writes in one of his books, "He [God] wants them [us, Christians] to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is even pleased with their stumbles." I believe this kind of sentiments and tender affections I will also find in me when Sethia is finally learning to walk, God willing.

In my short journey as a mother with Sethia, I also encountered periods named "growth spurts". Often during these periods, many many adjustments had to be made, where what used to be normal was suddenly not normal anymore. It was often chaotic and frustrating. Looking at these, at once my Christian life experiences made sense all over again. When life was tough and confusing, God perhaps was granting me an opportunity for a 'growth spurt' in Him – if only I was willing.

I have also quite religiously followed Baby Center, a popular parenting online site, to see what can I expect from Sethia. It is amazing to read how a mere infant will progress at each month of his life, and witness it happen to my son. It is also to my relief to read at the end of every section a caution: "Remember: Each baby develops at a different pace." This is true, every baby is a unique individual, who will grow differently from one another. But as I comprehend it, Christians are called differently to be even more unique. Instead of being a 'unique' individual, who is encouraged to 'just be yourself', a Christian is to grow to be uniquely Christlike. This and this alone will be his identity.

And so this will also be our prayers for our little Sethia, not for him to just grow, but to grow in stature and wisdom to be pleasing to both God and men - just like Christ Jesus. May God grant our prayers.

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man (Luk 2:52).

No comments:

Post a Comment