A Chore for Everyday

A Chore for Everyday

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Light From The Face of The Deep


Yesterday Adi made a presentation in a scientific meeting of the Indonesian students, where Sethia and I were around too. One of the slides shared the story of Stephen Salter, the founding father of wave power technology:

"In September 1973 I caught flu. My wife said to me, with callous indifference to my misery, "Stop lying there looking sorry for yourself. Why don't you solve the energy crisis?" It seemed a good idea at the time. What she wanted was something which would provide the vast amount needed, which would be clean and safe, would work in the winter in Scotland and would last for ever. It is a good thing for an engineer to have the design objective clearly specified." - Stephen Salter

Then Adi made a remark, "the moral of his story, is for scientists not to underestimate their wives' opinions."

I felt strangely wonderful instantly, and persistently encouraged! :-) So, should I behave and respond the same manner as Mr. Salter's wife when Adi gets flu, for him to come nearer to Mr. Salter's accomplishments?

No comments:

Post a Comment