A Chore for Everyday

A Chore for Everyday

Sunday, January 1, 2012

John and Mary Winthrop

MOST DEAR AND LOVING HUSBAND, I cannot express my love to you, as I desire, in these poor, lifeless lines; but I do heartily wish you did see my heart, how true and faithful it is to you, and how much I do desire to be always with you, to enjoy the sweet comfort of your presence, and those helps from you in spiritual and temporal duties, which I am so unfit to perform without you. It makes to see the want of you, and wish myself with you. But I desire we may be guided by God in all our ways, who is able to direct us for the best; and so I will wait upon him with patience, who is all-sufficient for me.

--Mary Winthrop to her husband John Winthrop

Therefore let us choose life, and we, and our seeds, may live; by obeying his voice, and cleaving to him [as we cleave to each other], for he is our life, and our prosperity.

--John Winthrop

I look forward to another blessed year and a lifetime with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment